Join the DPYO
Online applications for auditions for the 2020-2021 Season will open on March 15, 2020.
Auditions for entrance into the youth orchestras are held each year in the spring. Members are accepted by audition only. All current members must re-audition for the following year. Applicants must be a member of their school band or orchestra playing the same instrument as is played in the Youth Orchestra. Exceptions are made for home school students, pianists and harpists, and students from schools where there are no such music groups.
Steps to Follow
- Read the eligibility requirements below and understand the rehearsal and performance commitment and tuition expectations.
- Complete the online application form no later than April 17, 2020. The online application form will be available beginning March 15, 2020.
- Set up your audition time using the link at the end of the online application no later than April 17, 2020. The online audition scheduling platform will be available beginning March 15, 2020.
- Arrive at your audition at least 15 minutes prior to your scheduled time. Auditions are held at The University of Dayton, Fitz Hall, 1529 Brown Street, Dayton, Ohio 45469. Parking is available in front of the building.
- Applicants audition with the conductor of each respective orchestra. Perform your choice for an etude, exercise, or solo (without accompaniment) demonstrating musicianship, tone, technique, and current playing level. Audition pieces do not need to be memorized.
- Applicant must be a student in grades 9–12 in Fall 2020.
- Applicants should have proficiency in up to 4 sharps and 4 flats in at least 2 octaves, concert pitch (string players, 3 octaves).
- Percussion applicants should prepare to audition on timpani, snare drum, and mallet instruments.
- Flutists should be prepared to audition on piccolo if possible.
- Applicants must prepare a 3–4 minute solo.
- Applicant must be a student in grades 6–12 in Fall 2020.
- Applicants must be proficient in 2 octave major scales up to 3 accidentals (violins, 3 octaves in A and G, basses 1 octave and 2 octaves F and G)
- Applicants must be adept at sight-reading, vibrato and shifting into upper positions.
- Repertoire should be equal to or higher than Suzuki violin and viola Bk. 4, cello Bk. 3 and bass Bk. 2.
- Applicant may be a student in grades 4–8 in Fall 2020.
- Applicants should be proficient in scales up to 3 sharps and 2 flats and have excellent note reading and rhythm skills.
- Shifting and vibrato are not required. Sight-reading may be requested.
- Repertoire should be equal to the middle of Suzuki Bk. 2 for violin and violas and beginning of Bk. 2 for cello.
- The membership fee for participation in the Dayton Philharmonic Youth Orchestra is $375.00 (2020–2021).
- The membership fee for participation in both Dayton Philharmonic Youth Strings and Dayton Philharmonic Junior Strings is $200.00 (2020–2021).
- These fees cover administrative costs such as conductor salaries, rehearsal and performance space, and music.
- Financial Assistance is available for any students who may need help with the cost of the membership fee. This organization does not intend to deny an eligible student membership due to financial hardship.
Commitment and Rehearsal Schedules
The Youth Orchestras require dedication and commitment. Members are expected to attend all rehearsals and performances. Please consider your other school and extracurricular commitments carefully.
Each orchestra generally rehearses on Sunday afternoons beginning in September. Some rehearsals may be held on Sunday evenings.
Youth Orchestra performs three concerts in December, March, and May. Youth Strings and Junior Strings each perform two concerts in November and March.
- Youth Orchestra: Sundays, 1:30–4:30 pm, September–May.
- Youth Strings: 1:45–4:15 pm, September–March.
- Junior Strings: Sundays, 2:00–4:00 pm, September–March.
To schedule your audition, complete the online application and schedule your audition using the link at the end of the application. All auditions must be scheduled by April 17, 2020. The online audition scheduling platform will be available beginning March 15, 2020.
For Further Information Please Contact:
(please note, Ruth is expected to be on maternity leave beginning April 2020)
Director of Education
Dayton Performing Arts Alliance
Phone: 937-224-3521 x1118 Fax: 937-223-9189
Education Program Coordinator
Dayton Performing Arts Alliance
Phone: 937-224-3521 x1140