Join the DPYO
The initial deadline to schedule an audition for the 2022-2023 Season was April 29, 2022. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are still interested in auditioning.
Auditions for entrance into the youth orchestras will be held May 5-7, 15, and 21, 2022.
Members are accepted by audition only. All current members must re-audition for the following year.
Applicants must be a member of their school band or orchestra playing the same instrument as is played in the Youth Orchestra. Exceptions are made for home school students, pianists and harpists, and students from schools where there are no such music groups.
Steps to Audition
- Read the 2022-2023 Audition Brochure.
- Read the eligibility requirements below and understand the rehearsal and performance commitments and tuition expectations. Each orchestra has specific requirements.
- Complete the online application and sign up for your audition time by April 29, 2022.
- Results will be communicated the week of June 1, 2022.
Audition Dates: 2022-2023
- DPYO: May 5, 5:00-7:00 pm; May 6, 7:00-9:00 pm; May 7, 9:00 am-12:00 pm
- DPYS: May 6, 7:00-9:00 pm; May 7, 12:30-5:30 pm; May 15, 5:00-6:00 & 7:00-8:00 pm; May 21, 11:30 am-2:00 pm
- DPJS: May 15, 7:00-8:00 pm; May 21, 11:30 am-3:00 pm
- DPYO/DPYS Double Auditions: May 6, 5:00-6:30 pm; May 7, 9:00 am-12:00 pm
- DPYS/DPJS Double Auditions: May 15, 6:00-7:00 pm; May 21, 9:00-11:00 am
Double auditions are available for string students who are unsure about which orchestra would be the best fit. This audition is in front of both conductors; they will determine which orchestra will best suit that student’s needs and ability. Students can only be a member of one orchestra as all orchestras rehearse on Sunday afternoons. Please consult your private teacher or contact Kara Camfield, email@example.com, to determine if a double audition is right for you.
- Applicant must be a student in grades 9–12 in Fall 2022.
- Applicants should have proficiency in up to 4 sharps and 4 flats in at least 2 octaves, concert pitch (string players, 3 octaves).
- Percussion applicants should prepare to audition on timpani, snare drum, and mallet instruments.
- Flutists should be prepared to audition on piccolo if possible.
- Applicants must prepare a 3–4 minute solo.
- Applicant must be a student in grades 6–12 in Fall 2022.
- All applicants must be adept at sight-reading, vibrato and shifting into upper positions. Repertoire should be equal to or higher than Suzuki violin and viola Bk. 4 (final half), cello Bk. 4 and bass Bk. 2.
- Violin applicants should be proficient in 2 octave major scales up to 3 accidentals. Violinists must also play 3 octave G and A scales.
- Viola applicants should be proficient in 2 octave major scales up to 3 accidentals.
- Cello applicants should be proficient in 2 octave major scales up to 3 accidentals. Cellists must also play 3 octave C and D scales.
- Bass applicants should prepare 2 octave F and G scales and 1 octave in all other keys up to 3 accidentals.
- PLEASE NOTE: All scales should be played slurring 2 notes to a bow with vibrato.
- Applicants should prepare a complete piece/movement and scales listed above.
- Applicant may be a student in grades 5–8 in Fall 2022.
- Applicants should be proficient in scales up to 3 sharps and 2 flats and have excellent note reading and rhythm skills.
- Shifting and vibrato are not required. Sight-reading may be requested.
- Repertoire should be equal to the middle of Suzuki Bk. 2 for violin and violas and beginning of Bk. 2 for cello.
- Applicants should prepare 2 scales and a solo piece.
- The membership fee for participation in the Dayton Philharmonic Youth Orchestra is $385.00 (2022–2023).
- The membership fee for participation in both Dayton Philharmonic Youth Strings and Dayton Philharmonic Junior Strings is $200.00 (2022–2023).
- These fees cover administrative costs such as conductor salaries, rehearsal and performance space, and music.
- This organization does not intend to deny an eligible student membership due to financial hardship. Needs-based financial assistance is available for any students who may need help with the cost of the membership fee. Scholarships for military families are also available.
Commitment and Rehearsal Schedules
The Youth Orchestras require dedication and commitment. Members are expected to attend all rehearsals and performances. Please consider your other school and extracurricular commitments carefully.
Each orchestra generally rehearses on Sunday afternoons beginning in September. Some rehearsals may be held on Sunday evenings.
Youth Orchestra performs three concerts in December, March, and May. Youth Strings and Junior Strings each perform two concerts in November and March.
- Youth Orchestra: Sundays, 1:30–4:30 pm, September–May
- Youth Strings: Sundays, 1:45–4:15 pm, September–March
- Junior Strings: Sundays, 2:00–4:00 pm, September–March
For Further Information Please Contact:
Education Program Coordinator
Dayton Performing Arts Alliance
Phone: 937-224-3521 x1140